IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2010 Kona Coilair broken Magic Link spring and loose rebound cap
Guest_sk85bwNzb0_*
post May 2 2020, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Guests

I bought a used 2010 Kona Coilair on Pinkbike and I'm really happy with it. Unfortunately there are two problems that came up.

I think the spring in the Magic Link thing broke (or was already broken, I don't know) and the cap for the rebound adjustment on top of the right front suspension barrel(?) came of.

This is my first bike with suspension, so I'm not really used to these components. In general I would say I'm pretty confident in fixing my bike though.

So this is a picture of the broken Spring.
I searched for a replacement spring but the only thing I found is this part on konapartsca.com. I'm from Canada btw.
It is not in stock though. When I searched for the SKU this part on konaparts.com showed up but it says it's only for 2011-2013 generation 2 Coilair even though it's the same SKU.
I also found this, which would make more sense because I don't wanna buy the whole contraption, just the spring. But it says it's only for the 2008-2009 model but kinda looks the same except the color. So I'm a bit confused right now what to get. Best option would be the 30$ spring instead of a 100$ for the whole thing.

Are there any other good places where I can get that part? Preferably in Canada, maybe even in Vancouver?

The second thing is about the cap for the rebound adjustment. I saw that it was pretty loose and after touching it I already had it in my hand. Here are some pictures of the cap and the suspension. It's a Fox 36 Float R 160mm and I already wrote their support a couple weeks ago (at info@ridefox.com, is that correct?) but didn't get a reply yet.
Is this broken or can I reattach it? Just pressing it in doesn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post May 2 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

There are no Coilair Magic Link shocks left in Canada. You need the Gen 2 version. The G1 and any of it's parts won't fit.

Our US Parts store is still showing a few available. They can send one North to Canada if a local dealer pre-orders it.

You can use the dealer finder in my signature to find the nearest shop to you in Vancouver.

The fork doesn't look right to me but I don't have one of those here to check hands on. I'd send Fox another request.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_sk85bwNzb0_*
post May 6 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks for the reply! So you are saying this won't work because its Gen. 1
http://konaparts.com/product/magic-coil-link-spring-red/

and I have to get this whole thing?
http://konaparts.com/product/magic-link-mascoil-for-coil/

Is it possible to only get the Gen. 2 spring without all the other stuff around it?

+Quote Post
tech
post May 7 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Hi I think you've emailed me also right?

I have sent a request to our warehouse in North Van to look around for a spare spring.

The issue we have found on these shocks is that if one part breaks the other parts are also approaching the end of their life.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_sk85bwNzb0_*
post May 7 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Guests

Yeah sorry about the email. I was checking the forum all the time but didn't realize I have to be signed in to see the latest posts. So I thought it didn't work and that's why I sent the mail.

Thanks for getting in touch with the warehouse, that would be perfect.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2021 - 03:09 AM