IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
My first indescribable experience with Kona
Guest_Kona_Beginner_*
post Mar 6 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #1

Guests

I have just been interested in MTBs lately. Having looked for a MTB that could fit my small body, I finally made a decision to purchase a Kona Lisa 120 (14") at a local bike shop in Tokyo on Feb 28. Everything was going well during the setup and adjustment. I loved the Lisa 120. After getting the bike that day, I just rode it back home which was approx. less than 25 kilometers. That was it all for my very first serious MTB.

The following day, I was checking all the documents in order to send a warranty card back to the Japanese Distributor according to an advice from the local bike shop. I found that there was no any instruction manual associated with all the components such as fork, shock, brake and derailleur. The only instruction manual I received was a very thin general manual with a warranty register card written in Japanese. I did not carefully check the documents when I got my bike at the bike shop because I was so excited with the Lisa 120. I made a call to the bike shop right away after learning that there was no any other instruction manual of the components. The answer I got was that such manuals were not initially provided by Kona! I kept asking the shop as it was so different from my boyfriend's experience on purchasing a bike from Cannondale and Rocky Mountain. Finally, the shop e-mailed me a few intruction manual files such as fork and shock from Rock Shox. Here is my question: is this one of the Kona policies not to provide the user with the components' instruction manuals? Although I am a beginner in MTBs, how can I know how to adjust and maintain the components equipped on my bike without the manuals?

In addition, despite the fact that the Lisa 120 is a newly released model, the shock (Rock Shox Monarch 3.1) became out of order after I tried to adjust the rebound and the floodgate! I just rode my bike only less than 25 kilometers on the paved road in Tokyo back from the shop to my home yesterday...left the bike one night at home and then next morning the Rock Shox Monarch shocked me with the broken rebound adjuster and floodgate adjuster. I made a few calls to my bike shop and was suggested to bring back the bike to the shop. How could I ride the Lisa 120 with the crippled shock. I therefore decided to remove only Rock Shox unit and brought it back to the shop. I have been told to wait until the repair by the local Rock Shox Service is done! I am still waiting to get the shock. Well, I paid 189,000 Japanese Yen for a Lisa 120 that I cannot ride!!! Why can't Kona just provide a new shock to me in order to make my bike back to normal as quickly as possible and thus comfort my upset feeling? The bike was bought new less than 24 hours...less than 25 km of riding...it is a 2009 model! I am very disappointed with Kona now...not sure whether it is the whole Kona policy or the local distributor policy but the "Kona" name is there on my bike. I wish I could turn back time to the day when I was about to make this purchase toward Kona. I should have reconsidered this acquisition.

Regards,

Kona Lisa 120
H8EB6xxxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 9 2009, 02:04 AM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Sorry to hear you've had so many headaches right from the start. Let me see if I can answer a few of your questons.

Anything that comes on any of the bikes that is supplied with a manual like a Rockshox Fork, Fox Shock, Hayes Brake, or Shimano drivertrain has a manual included with the bike. Now of course if for some reason the Japanese distributor requested that no manuals be put in then there would be none but I can't imagine any reason they'd do that. We pay for all the manuals to go in, and we feel it's important that they all be given to the end user including our Kona Owner's manual.

None of our suppliers like Rockshox, Marzocchi, Shimano, and so on will alllow anyone except their distributors to service or warranty their parts. That was a rule long before I started here, and it was put into place because folks at bike places tended to be a little to generous with other peoples products and just flat out give too much away. The only time you'll see an exception to this rule is if a bike importer is also a Fox importer in their country, if there is a unique part built for a bike that the local service center will not be able to work on, or if there is a widespread and recognized problem that will overwhelm the supply chain.

So as for the fix it sounds like the shop is on the right track. For the manuals ask them to double check that they are not included. If they are sure let me know with a PM including your email address and I'll check with our production crew and the local distributor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Kona_Beginner_*
post Mar 10 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks, tech. A PM has been sent. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 04:58 AM