IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bass Suspension
Guest_offcamber_*
post Mar 24 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi, I would like to know what the maxium fork length for the Bass frame is? Could you run a 160mm randomly steeper terrain. And could you run a 7.5 x 2.0 to lower the bottom bracket a little. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 24 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

The Bass (and the Cowan DS that it's based on are both built around 4" travel forks as the max. The tubes are light, maybe not as light as a XC bike but John likes his bikes to fly as far as they can so there's no excess material to support more travel.

Putting in a shorter shock will lead to the wheel or rockers hitting the frame, you've just moved it a half inch closer with the same stroke. Some riders can get parts rubbing just with the stock setup and the flex in the frame.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_offcamber_*
post Mar 24 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Mar 24 2009, 12:14 PM) *
The Bass (and the Cowan DS that it's based on are both built around 4" travel forks as the max. The tubes are light, maybe not as light as a XC bike but John likes his bikes to fly as far as they can so there's no excess material to support more travel.

Putting in a shorter shock will lead to the wheel or rockers hitting the frame, you've just moved it a half inch closer with the same stroke. Some riders can get parts rubbing just with the stock setup and the flex in the frame.

My delema is 95% of my riding is Georgia singletrack and I'm trying to get rid of my long travel bike. I go to lift resorts 3-4 times a year. Would the Dawg be able to handle this. I'm talking nice and easy, no big drops or jumps. Technically, I could do it and I know it wouldn't be the same, but I'm just there for fun.

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 25 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

A magic link Coilair might be more like what you're after. Not a Bass though, it's built to fit in a very narrow niche.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mellow_sparky
post Mar 25 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #5

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 8,443

QUOTE (offcamber @ Mar 24 2009, 01:37 PM) *
My delema is 95% of my riding is Georgia singletrack and I'm trying to get rid of my long travel bike. I go to lift resorts 3-4 times a year. Would the Dawg be able to handle this. I'm talking nice and easy, no big drops or jumps. Technically, I could do it and I know it wouldn't be the same, but I'm just there for fun.

My riding is very similar - pretty technical trail riding on local trails and a couple trips up to Whistler during the year. I ride my Dawg Deluxe and love it for both - obviously on the lift trails, you can't ride crazy stuff, but the Dawg performs fine on those trails (I rent a park bike if I think I want to ride harder).

Coilair would work great too - I had mixed feelings about that set-up, so I opted for the simplier 4-bar of the dawg.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th February 2019 - 11:54 PM