Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shock-Springs for Stab with 100KG ?
Guest_ezzze_*
post Aug 4 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hi!

I've just become the proud owner of a 2006 Stab, with a 400lbs Spring in the Fox DHX 3.0. It is far to soft, the previous owner which weighed 80kg also told me , that the 400 was rather on the soft side for him. I'm 95-100kg, and would like to know, what kind of spring i should get...

600 ? 650? I've heard, that one can adjust the dhx 3.0 a bit by adding more air to it...

Another question: What spring is usually in the DHX 3.0 ? On mine I can read 400 x ?.?? ( I guess 2.85 ), and the spring is 17 cm long.

Could I put in a Spring from a 2003 Vanilla RC i have liing around? It is a 650 x 2.8 with a lenghts of 15,5 cm.

And while I'm on the subject of asking... I guess with my weight, I should put both Green/hard springs into a 2004 MRZ 888R, and not only one green one ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any info you can offer smile.gif

Best Regards,
Adrian

p.s. the rear axle is a 150 x 12, 135 x 12 or a 135 x 10 ? I need a new wheel for the rear, and couldn't find the info anywhere..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Aug 4 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

For your weight a 500 lbs spring is the starting line, going up to 600 depending on how aggressive you are.

The spring you have has too short a travel, the second number on the coils needs to be larger than 3". Otherwise the coils will touch before the damper body reaches it's full travel and your wheel travel will be reduced.

The rear hub is a 12x150mm thru-axle. The simplest replacement to find is another Sun Ringle.

I'd say 2x hard in the fork.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_ezzze_*
post Aug 7 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Aug 4 2008, 07:05 PM) *
For your weight a 500 lbs spring is the starting line, going up to 600 depending on how aggressive you are.

The spring you have has too short a travel, the second number on the coils needs to be larger than 3". Otherwise the coils will touch before the damper body reaches it's full travel and your wheel travel will be reduced.

The rear hub is a 12x150mm thru-axle. The simplest replacement to find is another Sun Ringle.

I'd say 2x hard in the fork.

Hi,

thank you! That helps greatly! I would have (wrongly) guessed at a range of 600-700..

I will go with a 550lbs spring then. What do you axactly mean with agressive? I usually only ride DH, no FR and huge drops, though the DH is mostly with a lot of stones, roots etc.. No racing-competition though. So 550 should be fairly good enough against the shock compressing completely and still having a good performance utilisation of the shock?

I guess, 3.25 is the normal length then, that is usually supplied with a 241mm DHX.

One more question popped up while I was assembling the bike.. the pole that connects from the middle of the frame to the movable brake-thing at the back, is loose. More specificly, the aluminium color thing that is screwed into the black pole is not sitting tighly, but is loose. A major problem?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Adrian

+Quote Post
tech
post Aug 7 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

The torque arm does need to have some float to it. That way it won't bind when the suspension moves.

Sounds like the more supple spring is the one to choose for where you are. If you were riding very big single drops you could want heavier, but since it's lots of rough terrain you want the shock to move on every hit so the wheel tracks.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 08:40 AM