IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Retro Konas, Stories, Pics
Guest_Kona_Nunu_*
post May 16 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #1

Guests

Is it possible, to integrate a "Retro"-part on konaworld.com? I've got a Kona Nunu since 1999 and I'm looking for more of these wonderfull bikes of the early years. So I'm really interested in old stories, old pics, old catalogues and stuff like that and I think, there are more people who are interested in those details.

I remember there was some trouble with Koga in the beginning of the 90s because of the trademark. That's why Kona-bikes were sold as "K-bikes" in Europe in 1991 or 1992 or so.

Kona was - in my opinion - one of the most successfull brand in the early 90s, showed in many competitions. What about these stories and pics?

Maybe a dream come true and I can read old stuff on konaworld.com some day. wub.gif

Regards smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post May 16 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Use the Fun stuff area for now and if you can get good vibe going we'll split it off into a new subforum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
brobin001
post Feb 20 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,918

I had a 1995? Muni Mula in Gold. Great bike with Marzocchi shocks. I agree that the bikes of the 1990s were awesome. I love seeing those models.

+Quote Post
Bazzapp57
post Feb 22 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 29,161

Back in the day, when cindercones had steel frames & skinny, skinny tubes.....
I had a 1993 16" Cindercone, & boy could it climb? Having such a compact rear triangle made this bike into an excellent XC bike. It had P2 forks, Velocity stem & shimano LX components (deore thumbies - remember those anyone?) rolleyes.gif

I had to re-learn my riding technique due to it's lightness, Once on a canal towpath, whilst wearing SPD's I braked quite hard & because of this bikes lightness the rear end did an "endo" which nearly dunked me into the canal. I never used spd's on this bike again,. really superb bike though (my wife insisted it was a girls bike due too the steeply sloping top tube) as not many MTB's in the early 90's had sloping tubes. Kona were way ahead of their time in terms of geometry...
When I eventually sold the frame, I was inundated with offers (Kona were much sought after) I even was offered a rocky mountain full suspension frame in exchange, such was the following & reputation in the uk.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  1994_Kona_Cindercone.JPG ( 147.16K ) Number of downloads: 75

+Quote Post
oldfisher
post May 24 2011, 07:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 36,240

I didn't own any Kona mtb's BITD (I started mtbing in '86) but did meet Joe Murray while he was in the UK (and designing for Kona) in 1990.

Also, in about 92/93 did some great rides in North Wales with my father on hired Kona's - the one I had was a Lava Dome and he had a Fire Mountain.

+Quote Post
croy
post Oct 12 2011, 03:01 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 43,615

I have 97 Kona KOA I think with a super light Racelight frame. Love it just need to upgrade the forks and pedals for the trails. Anyone else have one of these wonders?

+Quote Post
Old Man Guge
post Jan 24 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 45,420

My first bike i ever bought was a 1999 Kona NuNu. It was yellow. I loved that bike. I Raced it in the lone peak revenge race up by the big sky ski resort in Montana so much fun. That bike made me a kona believer. I now have a 95 kula hard tail frame that i built up, and just purchased a 2011 tanuki. I cant wait to ride it!

--------------------
Guge.
2011 Tanuki

+Quote Post
captain zero
post Mar 19 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,721

I had a Fire Mountain in 1994 & the following year both me & the wife bought AA's! She still rides hers!
I have had a Stinky in 2002 & at present A Dawg Supreme 06. Flirted with other makes in between but always come back to Kona.

+Quote Post
misteroo
post Apr 13 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,136

I still ride my 1994 Kilauea...Tange Prestige Concept tubing, the frame is bomb proof....Pace RC36 forks from 1997..the only thing that makes it any different from modern bikes is Disks. It weighs 24 pounds.
I also have a 2000 Stinky Dee Lux..awesome bike!!

+Quote Post
enyaw
post Jan 11 2013, 11:20 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 50,304

Bought my first Kona in the late 80's with everyone asking me why i was riding a girls bike just because of the sloping top tube laugh.gif

I then got a 94 Cindercone, great frame but the kona brand brakes were a pile of crap with the leavers hitting the handlebars as the cable pulled through the cantilevers under braking. Tried stainless, aluminium, titanium bolts, threadlock, superglue but nothing worked. Replaced them with Shimano XT V brakes, at last i could stop without nearly pooping my shorts laugh.gif

Also fitted Girvin Vector 2 linkage suspension forks with hydraulic damping, the thing was a real head turner and everywhere i went people would do a doubletake, stop me and hit me with ten million questions.

The Cindercone was 650 in 1994 with P2 forks, now you can get one for 850 with suspension and hydraulic brakes!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
SHredMon
post Mar 2 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 58,189

I've owned an early explosif ('88 - '90??) I believe made from Tange steel tubes? Next came a custom built Kona Hot, American made steel frame by Tom Teesdale(?) I believe. Both of those bikes were unreal performers, 19" frames. WHen Kona first introduced the Kula aluminum frame I bought that frameset due to its updated geometry; It had a 23"+ top tube on an 18" frame, awesome bike! In 1999 I bought the King Kikapu I am still riding today!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 11:45 AM