Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shock questions
Guest_Rikard_L_*
post Mar 29 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi,

I know that this is more of question to the marzocchi guys but since the roco tst r came with my new stinky deluxe 2009, I thought I post here anyways.

Where can I find a good tutorial (video would be helpful) on how to setup/tune this shock?

Is it generally worth to get it tuned by a company like for example "push industries"? I know that there is not a definitive answer to that question. I am just looking for other peoples opinions.

I am thinking about getting a TI-spring, any tips on where to get one for less than an arm and a leg smile.gif ?

Thanks
/Rikard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 30 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I'll ask Tom at Marzocchi & see what info he has, he's the shock guru.

Renton Coil Spring was the place anyone I know has suggested to get a Ti spring built.

http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Rikard_L_*
post Apr 1 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Mar 30 2009, 02:16 AM) *
I'll ask Tom at Marzocchi & see what info he has, he's the shock guru.

Renton Coil Spring was the place anyone I know has suggested to get a Ti spring built.

http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/

Thanks a lot for your help. I will contact RCS about the spring.

By the way, I think It would be very helpful for a lot of riders if Kona somehow could provide a "suspension setup guide" somewhere on this website (spring sizes, recommended air pressure depending on rider weight etc.). Seeing there are alot of people riding around with badly tuned suspension It would probably be in Konas best interest to help these riders get the most out of their bikes.
I know that the dealers are more than happy to help setting everything up when asked to. But sometimes the dealer can be very far away. This is just a though, but as I said I think It would be very helpful.

Regards

+Quote Post
tech
post Apr 1 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

We do have a basic suspension setup guide in our owner's manual, plus we include the fork and shock manuals in all the bikes so you get the manufacturer's info also.

Given that CD's are replacing paper manuals we may reach a point where we can include more setup info like a spring calculator. In a paper manual it won't fly though.

Tom thinks the Push shock is nicer so it could be worthwhile if you can't setup just right stock.

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/rearshocks.html

Above is a link to some teardown info on the rear shocks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shift96
post Oct 5 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105

QUOTE (tech @ Apr 1 2009, 03:31 PM) *
We do have a basic suspension setup guide in our owner's manual, plus we include the fork and shock manuals in all the bikes so you get the manufacturer's info also.

Given that CD's are replacing paper manuals we may reach a point where we can include more setup info like a spring calculator. In a paper manual it won't fly though.

Tom thinks the Push shock is nicer so it could be worthwhile if you can't setup just right stock.

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/rearshocks.html

Above is a link to some teardown info on the rear shocks.

Yes but if you buy your bike second hand Kona WILL NOT supply any documents at all. I tried. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. Sorry but it's the truth

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 5 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

That would be utterly untrue. I send out owners manuals on request, so does the US and every other distributer.

The folks who make the forks and other parts do not give us out extra manuals so we can't give out their books, but very often they'll also have it posted on their website in PDF form just like we do for our manual.

QUOTE (shift96 @ Oct 5 2009, 08:09 PM) *
Yes but if you buy your bike second hand Kona WILL NOT supply any documents at all. I tried. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. Sorry but it's the truth

--------------------

+Quote Post
shift96
post Oct 6 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,105

QUOTE (tech @ Oct 5 2009, 07:32 PM) *
That would be utterly untrue. I send out owners manuals on request, so does the US and every other distributer.

The folks who make the forks and other parts do not give us out extra manuals so we can't give out their books, but very often they'll also have it posted on their website in PDF form just like we do for our manual.

Prove me wrong and send me manuals. simple really.

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 6 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Thinking about thinking

I've passed your info onto the crew at Kona USA for the owner's manual. We have no published manual on the floating brake but we do have all the cross compatibility info pinned in the bulletins sub forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennis Leidelmei...
post Oct 22 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,607

Hi,

I own a 2009 Stinky with Dope and I want to replace the standard Roco R shock for a new one with more tuning options. I wanted to get a Marzocchi Roco WC but it's is only available in 222mm and the 2009 Stinky needs a 216mm shock am I right that I can only fit a Marzocchi Roco TST?

Help me please!

Greets Dennis

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 22 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Thinking about thinking

216mm is the size you need. In the past Marzocchi service centers would assemble special Works shocks like you're looking for but if they don't anymore you may need to switch to Fox.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennis Leidelmei...
post Oct 22 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (tech @ Oct 22 2009, 05:36 PM) *
216mm is the size you need. In the past Marzocchi service centers would assemble special Works shocks like you're looking for but if they don't anymore you may need to switch to Fox.

I saw Graham is running a roco air shock. Can you tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of an air shock except of the weight? And is he running a tst or a wc?

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 22 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Thinking about thinking

QUOTE (Dennis Leidelmeijer..SFA @ Oct 22 2009, 10:21 PM) *
I saw Graham is running a roco air shock. Can you tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of an air shock except of the weight? And is he running a tst or a wc?

He used both versions. I bet that is not what you were hoping to hear though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennis Leidelmei...
post Jul 14 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Hi,

I purchased a Marzocchi Roco TST air to replace the standard Roco Coil R in my 2009 stinky. Now my question is what SAG do you recommend?

Thanks in advanced!

Greets Dennis Leidelmeijer

+Quote Post
tech
post Jul 15 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #14

Thinking about thinking

That really depends on how you ride and how you like things to feel. If you're a racer guy and you want to run over stuff at high speed and feel like you're floating then you'll be looking at 40-50%. If you like hucking yourself off cliffs and going for one big hit then you'll be 15-25%.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OldSkoolAK
post Oct 24 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 45,283

I'll second the shop in renton- great work, those guys

--------------------
Singletrack Assassin

+Quote Post
gtrguy
post May 8 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 594

QUOTE (tech @ Oct 5 2009, 04:32 PM) *

Are there specific model manuals (for example for my 2010 Cadabra) or is it just the general manual that's available in the tech downloads section?

Thx!

+Quote Post
tech
post May 8 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #17

Thinking about thinking

Just the one manual.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 03:57 AM