IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kona Koa Fork Dilemma
Guest_Downesey_*
post Mar 31 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi - I have a late 90's Kona Koa, completely original including the Project 2 forks. I would like to put some suspension forks and was looking at the Rock Shox Judy's. I am not a technical person and need some help to ensure I buy the correct ones. In terms of steering tube length and diameter ? Can anyone guide me on the correct path before a shell out loads of cash on the wrong thing. My bike has the standard brakes as well not discs. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 31 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

What colour is your Koa? That'll help me nail the age of it and then figure out what fork is OK and if any other parts need to be swapped around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Downesey_*
post Mar 31 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Mar 31 2009, 08:30 PM) *
What colour is your Koa? That'll help me nail the age of it and then figure out what fork is OK and if any other parts need to be swapped around.

Hi it's a metalic orange colour, sounds bad but looks nice. Thanks for your help.

+Quote Post
tech
post Mar 31 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

OK so metalic Orange in 1997. You have a threadless front end, but will also need to do something about your brakes, current forks don't have a support for canti's. A set of V-brakes and new levers is the easiest fix for that.

Your ideal fork will run 65mm of travel, with a max of 80mm. You want a single crown type with a 1 1/8" threadless steerer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
croy
post Oct 12 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,615

QUOTE (tech @ Mar 31 2009, 02:51 PM) *
OK so metalic Orange in 1997. You have a threadless front end, but will also need to do something about your brakes, current forks don't have a support for canti's. A set of V-brakes and new levers is the easiest fix for that.

Your ideal fork will run 65mm of travel, with a max of 80mm. You want a single crown type with a 1 1/8" threadless steerer.

I also have a Kona KOA that is Red that i would like to change to front forks. Would this be the same specs?

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 12 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

You bet, same for all years of the Koa.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_droob_*
post Feb 26 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Guests

Hi
I been given a Koa frame an i`m wondering what a-c sizes the frame will take fork wise and what would happen if you put a pair of forks on with 100mm travel,
Thanks

+Quote Post
tech
post Feb 27 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #8

Thinking about thinking

A longer fork has a few negative effects on the frame geometry. It pushes your weight back so you loose traction on the front tire and it washes out. It has the fork sitting at a less than ideal angle so more force than anticipated goes into bending it vs. compressing it. So you could take a bigger hit thinking the fork will soak it up but in reality more force is being fed into the frame than the shorter fork tuned for your ride. So over time that energy can cause damage to the frame by ramping up the fatigue cycle over what the frame was built to absorb. On a frame that's seen probably 15 years of use already that's a concern.

A Koa would be built for a fork with a max travel of 65mm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex15
post Dec 3 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,781

QUOTE (tech @ Feb 28 2012, 02:56 AM) *
A longer fork has a few negative effects on the frame geometry. It pushes your weight back so you loose traction on the front tire and it washes out. It has the fork sitting at a less than ideal angle so more force than anticipated goes into bending it vs. compressing it. So you could take a bigger hit thinking the fork will soak it up but in reality more force is being fed into the frame than the shorter fork tuned for your ride. So over time that energy can cause damage to the frame by ramping up the fatigue cycle over what the frame was built to absorb. On a frame that's seen probably 15 years of use already that's a concern.

A Koa would be built for a fork with a max travel of 65mm.

Hi all, you might be able to help me!! wink.gif
I've got a RED Kona Dew, I believe it's a 2005 model according to KlassicKona site. Fits all the specs except it has a Tall Steerer, which it didn't seem was standard in 2005 ....

Anyway I need a new Project Two fork. Mine is bent. If yours will fit my Kona maybe I can take it off your hands??
Can anyone suggest whether the forks will be compatible for my Kona Dew????

cheers
alex

+Quote Post
tech
post Dec 4 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #10

Thinking about thinking

Hi, the steel fork from the recent Dew Plus will be a match for your bike. Ask your bike shop to order one in for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 04:57 PM