IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Upgreading components in my Kona Four 2008.
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Nov 17 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Guests

Hi,

I recently reached the moment in time where I need to upgread my "Four". I wanted to ask if changing the for from Rock Shock Dart 2 (100 mm) to Manitou Relic Super Lockout NB 130 (130 mm) will destroy geometry of the frame?

The second question is if changing tyres from Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 to Maxxis High Roller 2.35 will be ok?

And the third. I think RS Bar 2.1 is a little not for me. I need something with oil inside. What would be good for "four"s frame ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Nov 17 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

The fork is not possible to change to any model with more that 4" or 100mm of travel.

Tires need to be test fitted as runout can vary based on each tire as it's removed from the mold.

Your shock does have air and oil in it. For one to upgrade too I'd suggest a Fox RP23 like on the further up the line models.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Nov 17 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Nov 17 2008, 04:52 PM) *
The fork is not possible to change to any model with more that 4" or 100mm of travel.

Which one will You recommend? For some more aggressive riding then just pure XC (yes, I did some gravity ride on it). Maybe Manitou Relic 100 mm if there is such model (I need to dig into it). Or some Marzo model?

Tires need to be test fitted as runout can vary based on each tire as it's removed from the mold.

From what I was told, for Alex ACE 18 rims Maxxiss Ignitor 2.35 (not 2.1 as factory installed) will fit. The question is if Maxxis High Roller 2.35 will fit. I just found
that I need more ground contact.

Your shock does have air and oil in it. For one to upgrade too I'd suggest a Fox RP23 like on the further up the line models.

I see... but for my weight (about 80 kg) it's still to light (Bar 2.1 that is) and I need something with more power (yes Bar was pumped up to the limits with the air as in manual), so that's why my question is. And then again wich configuration of RS Bar 2.1 was factory installed in "Four" 165/38 ? (lenght/jump).

+Quote Post
tech
post Nov 17 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

In the 4" travel forks I really like what Fox does. I'd say take a look at what they have and pick what's you favorite from their lineup.

For tires first check the local trail crew and see what they like. Pressure and compound will have a real noticable change in the feel vs. just adding volume.

The rear shock has a 200mm eye to eye with a 51mm stroke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NTS
post Nov 17 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Group: Advanced Member
Member No.: 9,442

hi

suggest a smaller 100 mm marzocchi like mxc series, mx, exr... there isn't anything what can get any probs in it just oil and air. foxes good but they need more service at all than marzos...

--------------------
Riding ain't a sport... It's a lifestyle...

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Nov 17 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (NTS @ Nov 17 2008, 09:21 PM) *
hi

suggest a smaller 100 mm marzocchi like mxc series, mx, exr... there isn't anything what can get any probs in it just oil and air. foxes good but they need more service at all than marzos...

I was thinking about Manitou Relic 100 mm (air) or marzocchi 600 MX mayby... but without pivots for v-breakes... maybe one of those?

+Quote Post
tech
post Nov 17 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Thinking about thinking

I can't really comment on Manitou as they don't leave forks around here for test and we have none of their forks spec'd on the bikes. The Marzocchi forks seem to be heavier than the equals from other folks in that catagory with similar intent.

Here's a rule on upgrades, make it a noticable upgrade, not just one tiny notch up the line. Otherwise in 6 months time you'll find yourself needing to do it all over again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Nov 17 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Nov 17 2008, 10:34 PM) *
I can't really comment on Manitou as they don't leave forks around here for test and we have none of their forks spec'd on the bikes. The Marzocchi forks seem to be heavier than the equals from other folks in that catagory with similar intent.

Here's a rule on upgrades, make it a noticable upgrade, not just one tiny notch up the line. Otherwise in 6 months time you'll find yourself needing to do it all over again.

That's why I am wondering what to change and not to pay a price of the bike once again (2000$ for bike then 1000$ for rear and 1000$ for fork is something like...).

Maybe then I sould upgread just... by buying another bike. Something for aggresive enduro/freeride like a CoilAir, but based on oil (becouse of my weight - with equipement sometimes even more then 90kg). And the second one for pure freeride (stinky?). But then... I'm not living in country where heaving three bikes, each costing an used car, is something very often when not being prorider sad.gif That's why I have to ask many questions and make wise decisions... Becouse all money I will put into my bikes is what I have to earn and it takes time and strenght...

That's why the question apears. Maybe something other ? Some bike with 160mm - 180mm suspension for travel and enduro? And then leater... in one or two years go for a real freeride machine?

+Quote Post
tech
post Nov 17 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Thinking about thinking

If you can scare up a Magic Link Coilair then you'll find it runs like a Dawg in the climbs and pedaling sections and a Stinky in the downs.

The Four is best aimed at things like Raids or Adventure races and that sounds like not really what you want to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Nov 17 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Nov 17 2008, 11:32 PM) *
If you can scare up a Magic Link Coilair then you'll find it runs like a Dawg in the climbs and pedaling sections and a Stinky in the downs.

The Four is best aimed at things like Raids or Adventure races and that sounds like not really what you want to do.

Yup. I would rather go off road and do some crazy things (well, let's call it like that in order to make difference from just normal "flat" road ride). But will an air
suspension of CoilAir will be good for my weight and ride style? Like now I just destroyed Rock Shock Dart 2 and propably Rock Shock Bar 2.1 is on the same way to extinction wink.gif

So if not CoilAir then what bike?

And one more question. How about some jumps and drops with CoilAir Magic Link? Will it hold? Or rather it sould not taste any gravity higher then 30 cm ?

+Quote Post
tech
post Nov 17 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #11

Thinking about thinking

John Cowan came in after one ride on a Magic bike and swapped it for his team Stinky. It is a very solid package.

If you can't stump up the $ for one though maybe something like a Five-O would cost less and still handle big terrain better for your style of riding.

QUOTE (Zwierz @ Nov 18 2008, 12:17 AM) *
So if not CoilAir then what bike?

And one more question. How about some jumps and drops with CoilAir Magic Link? Will it hold? Or rather it sould not taste any gravity higher then 30 cm ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2019 - 04:32 AM