IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
StinkySix 888RC
Guest_defman_*
post Jul 29 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Guests

Will my Stinky Six (2009) be ok with a set of 2005 888RC forks ??? Think they are fine as my bike came with 160mm forks and the 888 are 170mm, but just askin to be on the safe side. cheers

While am asking, could... if I wanted to, fit 200mm forks to a stinky six ??? have saw peeps with Boxxers on Stinky six's and they seemed ok.

Cheers wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Jul 29 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I'd keep that bike at six by six. Guys running longer forks I chalk up to the same folks who put fancy wheels on jeeps they never take off road. Now a better fork or one tuned to suit your riding style and where you are I'm all for. When we gave our team riders works tuned forks from Marzocchi we literally have to pry them out of their hands years later and get them onto current forks. Fox and Rockshox now have similar tuning available now too.

The longer fork will just push your weight back and unbalance the ride and handling, it'll move you backwards instead of ahead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_defman_*
post Jul 29 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jul 29 2010, 04:08 PM) *
I'd keep that bike at six by six. Guys running longer forks I chalk up to the same folks who put fancy wheels on jeeps they never take off road. Now a better fork or one tuned to suit your riding style and where you are I'm all for. When we gave our team riders works tuned forks from Marzocchi we literally have to pry them out of their hands years later and get them onto current forks. Fox and Rockshox now have similar tuning available now too.

The longer fork will just push your weight back and unbalance the ride and handling, it'll move you backwards instead of ahead.

Soooooooo .... it wont 'really' damage my bike ??? All the other stinky can take longer forks, so are the stinky six's differant ?? I only ride lite DH and single track, I never ride uphill wink.gif so do u think i could get away with the 888 then ?? I am aware it will void my warrinty.

+Quote Post
tech
post Jul 29 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Ok, so here is what we've found. I've already gone over the un-improvement it will make to the handling and traction. Next comes the way you sit on the bike, your weight is pushed back so you're less on the fork and more on the shock, this has the shock worked harder and that long fork worked less, once again what I'd call an un-improvement. Then we go to the fork. Since it's out of it's ideal head tube angle you are putting more impulse into bending the actual fork vs. compressing the sliders, and you exaggerate that loose knocking feel you get from topped out forks. And then the very last thing is the longer fork is a longer lever so while putting one on your bike won't make it fall to pieces, if you do hit an obstacle or crash it's going to feed more of that energy into the frame.

If a bike that was 8" front and 6" rear was really the ride to have then our test and team riders would be begging for them, and we'd be building and selling them out of the box. This isn't a new deal either, folk were trying this same setup ten years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_defman_*
post Jul 30 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jul 29 2010, 05:51 PM) *
Ok, so here is what we've found. I've already gone over the un-improvement it will make to the handling and traction. Next comes the way you sit on the bike, your weight is pushed back so you're less on the fork and more on the shock, this has the shock worked harder and that long fork worked less, once again what I'd call an un-improvement. Then we go to the fork. Since it's out of it's ideal head tube angle you are putting more impulse into bending the actual fork vs. compressing the sliders, and you exaggerate that loose knocking feel you get from topped out forks. And then the very last thing is the longer fork is a longer lever so while putting one on your bike won't make it fall to pieces, if you do hit an obstacle or crash it's going to feed more of that energy into the frame.

If a bike that was 8" front and 6" rear was really the ride to have then our test and team riders would be begging for them, and we'd be building and selling them out of the box. This isn't a new deal either, folk were trying this same setup ten years ago.

Ok ...... this is my last dumb question of the day .... would changing the rear shock make a differance, with regards to the long fork on the front ??... can i fit a larger rear shock ??

was looking at this .... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52840 .. would this rear shock help if I fitted the 888 ??

Sorry to keep going on, but its only cos I have bought the 888 fork already !!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
tech
post Jul 30 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

The best analogy I can give to a longer shock in the rear is that's like putting one higher wall on your house to make it a 2-story building, It's not going to keep the rain out. The longer shock also needs longer rockers, revised pivot placement, and new chain and seat stays. If it was that easy to make a LEGO style bike where you'd bolt up new parts to re-configure a 6" to 7" and so on we'd be selling them to our captive audience. In the end though that's just too much of a performance compromise.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 04:55 AM