IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
'06 Dawg vs. '99 Stinky
Guest_dir-T-snow_*
post Feb 26 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #1

Guests

This is my first post and it's a strange one. I recently picked up a second hand '06 Dawg but have yet to be able to ride it. Shortly after I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a '99 Stinky (bought it for the parts on it), and the frame was basically an added bonus in the deal. My question is which of the two bikes would be stronger? I found out a little after the fact that the Dawg might be a little light weight for my intended purposes as the coiler is probably a little more spot-on. I've seen in other posts by tech that the dawg has thinner tubing than coiler/stinky, so is that the case even back in '99? I realize a lot of the frame strength depends on how it was used by previous owner, but I don't really know the history of either frames. My intended riding is mostly singletrack/ all-mtn, but plan on doing some lift-assisted riding in the summer since it's free with my ski pass. The resort riding isn't normal "dh course" style , more what they call "roller coaster single track". I ride fairly aggressive but no big drops (3' or under) or jumps, and weigh in at 200-210 lbs. So does the age of the older Sinky offset any normal benefits over the newer dawg? BTW, both are same size, 5" travel, and 7005 alu. Let me know if I need to include any other info about riding style, components etc. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Feb 26 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Back to back and both being brand new the Stinky will be the choice.

After 10 years of course the Stinky will be getting a bit tired so you do need to tune up or replace some of the parts.

The Dawg will never be a drops and jumps bike for sure in the way the Stinky is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_dir-T-snow_*
post Feb 26 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks, for the reply. So what I am thinking after this info, is to use the '99 stinky for now while keeping an eye out for a coiler frame in the future. which ever frame I used now (stinky or dawg) they will have the same components just deciding which frame to use. All components are '06 or '07: Fox float rlc fork, dt swiss wheels, fsa crankset, sram x-7 drivetrain, etc.,etc. When you say "tune up or replace some parts", are you referring to any stock ('99) components, or bushings/pivot points of the stinky frame itself? Just for clarification, a '99 Stinky should "theoretically" be stronger than an '06 Dawg based on tube wall thickness and intended use correct? Thanks for all your help, this is my first Kona and I'm lovin' the support!

+Quote Post
tech
post Feb 27 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Back to back the Stinky frame is going to be much more durable than a Dawg frame, (and pounds heavier of course).

Both the component pick and the rolling parts on the frame should get a good seeing too after ten years of use. Of course for some folks that time would be only gentle use and well taken care of parts. Stinkys though do seem to attract the ride hard and put it away wet crowds.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 05:46 AM