IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kona Dawg 2009
Guest_DEENO_*
post Oct 26 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi just bought a 2009 kona dawg, anybody got one, are you pleased with it and anything i need to look out for thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eshew
post Nov 13 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,917

QUOTE (DEENO @ Oct 26 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Hi just bought a 2009 kona dawg, anybody got one, are you pleased with it and anything i need to look out for thanks

Just got done swapping all my parts from my 2002 Bear to a new (to me) 2008 Dawg frame.

Ride that bike hard, make sure to setup with suspension properly and go hit some drops! I would just ride it till parts start failing and replace them at that time. You'll have a hard time messing up that frame so just ride that sucker! You'll reach your own limits before that bike breaks a sweat.

If you ever do need to get new wheels I would suggest Mavic 721's, relatively cheap and they just dont come untrue... I've got 6 years on 2 sets and they have been amazing. That includes some pretty hard rides on my Stinky at Whistler & North Shore...if clown shoes cant bring em down not alot can.

+Quote Post
Guest_09dawg_*
post Jan 1 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Guests

this is alittle late but, I have the 09 dawg. and i love it. well balanced bike. The only issue I have (its not a big issue) its the stock hubs and rims they dont last long, toco the front with ease. so,change those out I am running syncross ds 28 with hope pro 2 front and rear set up. xo shifters trivieu (red) crank chris king bb, 2010 talus RLC 140 (adjustable) fork, hayes trial (hydro) brakes (203mm) chris king head set. The only parts that are stock is the frame and the rear shock (thats rebiult) I felt the need too do this and now its a god. kona could place a highier end rims and hubs on there bikes. componets come later. thats my only real issues rims and hubs. other then that love the feel light quick and nimble. donnt really feel I am on a bike..

+Quote Post
Madison Bike Rid...
post Jan 20 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,343

QUOTE (09dawg @ Jan 1 2011, 03:43 PM) *
this is alittle late but, I have the 09 dawg. and i love it. well balanced bike. The only issue I have (its not a big issue) its the stock hubs and rims they dont last long, toco the front with ease. so,change those out I am running syncross ds 28 with hope pro 2 front and rear set up. xo shifters trivieu (red) crank chris king bb, 2010 talus RLC 140 (adjustable) fork, hayes trial (hydro) brakes (203mm) chris king head set. The only parts that are stock is the frame and the rear shock (thats rebiult) I felt the need too do this and now its a god. kona could place a highier end rims and hubs on there bikes. componets come later. thats my only real issues rims and hubs. other then that love the feel light quick and nimble. donnt really feel I am on a bike..

Are you running the stock brake discs? I just bought a new (old stock) 2010 Dawg and the brake discs are 3.4 pounds (combined). I was wondering if you changed and what you changed to. I immediately switched to Mavic CrossRide wheels, Continental Mountain King tires (460 g), Easton carbon fiber bar, Specialized stem, Shimano XT cassette (XT Crankset is on the way), and this cut 2 1/2 lbs off of the 35 pounds that it came in at. I want to get it under 30 lbs if at all possible. It looks like I can easily shave a couple of pounds off with the brake discs, so that is next on my plan. The bike will be great when I get it completed.
Thanks!

+Quote Post
steve_sordy
post Sep 4 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 39,075

QUOTE (DEENO @ Oct 26 2009, 06:46 PM) *

I bought a new 2009 Supreme in June 2010. Wow, what a bike! Weighs 28.2 pounds. It weighs a little bit more now. I have changed the grips for Ergon GC2s, so no more hand numbness (this is my problem, not a Dawg thing). Lately I have removed the Shimano XT triple crankset and BB to put on my 2008 Kona Kula, replacing with a Shimano SLX double and bash 36/22. Brilliant! The original Maxxis Igniter 2.35" kevlar tyres (668g) and inner tube (160g) have been replaced with a Maxxis Igniter 2.35" LUST (tubeless 858g, plus 50g of sealant). Fantastic! The tyres are so robust that I can drop to 22psi rear and 20psi front, even though I weigh 200 pounds in my riding gear. I have not noticed the extra weight on the wheels. The grip is phenomenal and the ride over roots and rocks is so smooth that I can go even faster. I have been on a jumps course in a quarry and also I have ridden over the Derbyshire Peak district in the UK (mountains) without any rim dings. The Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset seems completely unburstable. This bike is a keeper!

The brake pads do seem prone to oil contamination when cleaning the chain and gears, so best to remove them first. Otherwise you get loud honking and frame vibration. (see my other post).

Oh, and the paint finish seems fragile, picks up stone chips very easily. So I wrapped the frame in helicopter tape - a transparent colourless flexible plastic tape that comes in a variety of widths. You can't see it on the bike unless you are close up, but it gives a wipe clean glossy finish. No stone chips since!

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 27 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

& helicopter tape makes you go faster!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 05:47 AM