IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is this a King Kikapu frame?
Guest_Swamprat33_*
post Oct 20 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi all. I just collected a frame through ebay this evening.

It was sold as a pre 2004 King Kikapu - size 18" Medium.
The previous owner claimed to have had it since 2004 and bought it 2nd hand with a full XTR groupset.

It is solid silver all over (but could have been resprayed) with a Fox RL shock. It has canti bosses and a disk mount. The serial number is: K H1D 87347. It also feels very light - will weigh it tonight and update.

There is no sticker on the top tube, just the black and white Kona stickers on down tube and the logo on the seat tube and top tube nearest to the seat post.

There are 2 sets of bottle bosses, one inside main triangle and one underneath down tube close to the BB.

I had a hunt on internet last night and I do know that the 2003 King Kikapu had a Fox RL and was silver up front with a sort of chrome finish at the back. I also believe that the 2003 king Kikapu was an Easton frame and has an Easton stamp on, I think, the lower half of the seatpost tube. I cannot see any such marks. Were there any King Kikapu frames that were not Easton stamped?

In fact, I could not find any pre 2005 Kona XC full suspension bike that was plain silver.

I am begining to think that it is not a King Kikapu at all, but can you help me work out exactly what it is.

Cheers

Tim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 20 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Scootersolds? If so that's a 2001.

because of the paint I can't be sure of what model it is, could be a King Kikapu, a Mokomoko, or a Manomano. The Moko and Kikapu will have Easton stamps on the top and down tubes, they can be hard to see under heavy paint though.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tube.jpg ( 5.77K ) Number of downloads: 10

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Swamprat33_*
post Oct 20 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hi There, Yes, I got the frame from Scootersolds - How can you be so sure it is a 2001 frame?

I have had another look and can see no sign of any Easton stamps anywhere :-(

I weighed the frame with rear shock and it came in at 6lbs dead. There was no bb, but the top and bottom headset cups were in place.
I think the Easton frames should be around 5.5lbs.

Am I right that it is not a standard colour and therefore has been repainted?

From what I can see the King Kikapu was the only frame fitted with the RL shock, but I guess that could be an upgrade.

I assume all 3 frames you mention are 3.5" travel, but would have been paired with an 80mm fork.

Will I be OK using a 2007 Recon SL 100mm fork with it. I have fitted the fork this evening, along with a 75mm Kona stem from a 2008 Blast, but not sure if it is right.

I am 5' 8" with a 30" inseam. The bike feels 'right' for reach, but I don't have that much standover.

What pressure would you recommend to start with - I weigh about 175 lbs.

It still should be a decent XC bike for me if it will take a 100mm fork - if not, then not too happy and will probably resell.

Cheers

Tim

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 21 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

The one after the H in the # tells me the age.

It has been re-sprayed.

Stick with an 80 on that frame. Back when it was made longer forks were on DH bikes, the XC ones were just not made to suit 100.

I'd say a 17"-18" frame would be the right size for you at least in that vintage. I can't remember the size from the auction listing but it seemed a bit bigger in the pictures. Measure from the center of the BB shell to the top of the seat collar in inches.

For the rear shock set it a 175 psi to start, then 190-215 if you're more aggressive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Swamprat33_*
post Oct 21 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #5

Guests

Many thanks for the advice - really appreciate it.

However, now feeling a bit annoyed as it now looks like I've got to either get a decent 80mm fork or sell the frame.

I thought I had everything to go onto the FS frame, but don't really want to spend £200+ on another fork

Seems like i wasted the money on that frame now - Probably not a King Kikapu as advertised, and I can't run a 100mm fork.
I guess I should have waited for a newer one.

hey ho

Tim

+Quote Post
tech
post Oct 21 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

It was a nice frame, I had one in 01 and really enjoyed, just a bit too light for all the pies I eat.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2019 - 11:05 AM