IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stinky (Air, Deluxe and so on) vs Stinky Six
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 19 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Guests

What is the difference, or rather the purpose of those two Stinky's families?

I can see angels difference, and travel, but I can't see what Stinky version is designed for. One for freeride and other for agressive enduro? Or both for freeride only "Six" is for lighter one?

I was just thinking about freeride bike for my style of riding (not so agressive, not so gravity fly, maybe even some kind of enduro rather then FR) and just encountered that categorisation in Out Of Bounds bikes. So please, enlight me wink.gif
Greetings,
Zwierz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tech
post Jan 19 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Thinking about thinking

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

The Stinkys have been evolving into bikes that are ridden in areas with lift or shuttle access. Not much fun to pedal up a trail or along single track. The Stinky Six will ride up the mountain, hit trails, and then ride back down again. It won't descend as well as the 7" travel bikes but you won't have to push it up the hill for a couple hours if you don't have a handy chairlift where you live.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 19 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jan 19 2009, 06:29 PM) *
The Stinkys have been evolving into bikes that are ridden in areas with lift or shuttle access. Not much fun to pedal up a trail or along single track. The Stinky Six will ride up the mountain, hit trails, and then ride back down again. It won't descend as well as the 7" travel bikes but you won't have to push it up the hill for a couple hours if you don't have a handy chairlift where you live.

Just how I suspected. That's great news becouse I was looking for a bike combining enduro and freeride together. That would be something that will fit into my style of riding nearly perfect. Can You tell me also what is the weight of Stinky Six 09 ?

+Quote Post
tech
post Jan 19 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #4

Thinking about thinking

Thirty Eight pounds for a 15".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 19 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jan 19 2009, 09:04 PM) *
Thirty Eight pounds for a 15".

Thanks. So the last question is what size of a frame and what lbs for rear dumper should I choose if my height is 170 cm (my legs are about 80 cm long) and my weight is about 80 kg (so it is height: 66.9 inches and legs 31.5 inches long and weight is 176 lbs)?

+Quote Post
tech
post Jan 19 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Thinking about thinking

Small size of frame most likely.

Spring would be 500 so you'd need to swap up the 400 that comes stock on the small.

Have you ridden any other Stinkys, and if so what size/year?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 19 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jan 19 2009, 10:31 PM) *
Small size of frame most likely.

Spring would be 500 so you'd need to swap up the 400 that comes stock on the small.

Have you ridden any other Stinkys, and if so what size/year?

No I don't sad.gif

I would like to, but it looks like it will be my first freeride bike now. Here in Poland it is still not as good as in west Europe so trying bikes is hard as I can see.

What I ride so far is Kona Four 2008 (17" size) and well... that is good choice for a quiet trip out of the city, but not for some crazy things I like to try sometimes wink.gif

+Quote Post
objext
post Jan 20 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,881

QUOTE (Zwierz @ Jan 19 2009, 01:34 PM) *
No I don't sad.gif

I would like to, but it looks like it will be my first freeride bike now. Here in Poland it is still not as good as in west Europe so trying bikes is hard as I can see.

What I ride so far is Kona Four 2008 (17" size) and well... that is good choice for a quiet trip out of the city, but not for some crazy things I like to try sometimes wink.gif
I ride a 2005 Coiler regularly. A few months ago I rode a Stinky up at Mammoth mountain and definitely prefer the Coiler for my type of riding style, which almost always involves pedaling to the top and I guess you could say "extreme" XC. The Stinky just wasn't any fun to pedal. I haven't tried the DHX Air...I like the feel of my DHX 5.0 coil compared to any other air shock I've tried, so I can't really speak for the newer Coilairs in that regard, but I'd check them out, or look for a lightly used 2005/6/7

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 20 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (objext @ Jan 20 2009, 08:28 AM) *
I ride a 2005 Coiler regularly. A few months ago I rode a Stinky up at Mammoth mountain and definitely prefer the Coiler for my type of riding style, which almost always involves pedaling to the top and I guess you could say "extreme" XC. The Stinky just wasn't any fun to pedal. I haven't tried the DHX Air...I like the feel of my DHX 5.0 coil compared to any other air shock I've tried, so I can't really speak for the newer Coilairs in that regard, but I'd check them out, or look for a lightly used 2005/6/7

I see. I know that Coiler (CoilAir now?) is more like an enduro bike. But I think Stinky Six will be perfect for some freeride/gravity riding for me (and the price wich makes it a very good start). And then I will search for enduro one. For long mountain trips and so on. And the problem (not thinking about $) will be: where I will put all my bikes?! wink.gif

+Quote Post
tech
post Jan 21 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #10

Thinking about thinking

If I had more room I'd have more bikes.

I have to confess that when my wife's bike was stolen it took me a long time to get her a new one becuase I liked the extra space for one of my bikes!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zwierz_*
post Jan 21 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (tech @ Jan 21 2009, 01:31 AM) *
If I had more room I'd have more bikes.

I have to confess that when my wife's bike was stolen it took me a long time to get her a new one becuase I liked the extra space for one of my bikes!

Wow smile.gif

I think after some cleaning of my basement there will be a pleace for two or three more bikes. The only problem then will be the money... :]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 05:27 AM